Monday 12 January 2015

A Darker Shade of magic (preview excerpt) by V.E.Schwab

Hi guys 
Today I am talking about the preview I got to V.E.Schwab new book, 'a darker shade of magic'. I was really excited to read this because I have never read anything by V.E.Schwab and I thought this would be a good place to start.

This book is released on 24th February
Synopsis
Kell is one of the last Travelers—rare magicians who choose a parallel universe to visit. 

Grey London is dirty, boring, lacks magic, ruled by mad King George. Red London is where life and magic are revered, and the Maresh Dynasty presides over a flourishing empire. White London is ruled by whoever has murdered their way to the throne. People fight to control magic, and the magic fights back, draining the city to its very bones. Once there was Black London - but no one speaks of that now.

Officially, Kell is the Red Traveler, personal ambassador and adopted Prince of Red London, carrying the monthly correspondences between royals of each London. Unofficially, Kell smuggles for those willing to pay for even a glimpse of a world they’ll never see. This dangerous hobby sets him up for accidental treason. Fleeing into Grey London, Kell runs afoul of Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She robs him, saves him from a dangerous enemy, then forces him to another world for her 'proper adventure'.

But perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, Kell and Lila will first need to stay alive — trickier than they hoped.

Thoughts
The first thing I noticed was the odd set out of the book, there would be a random new line halfway through a sentence and that there was also random numbers in the middle of a sentence. I am not sure whether this was just a feature in this book or whether V.E.Schwab has that set out in all her books. Anyway I wasn't a big fan of that.

That aside I really enjoyed this novel, I thought that the characters were very well written I. This short extract I felt really  connected to all the characters. The world was also very well developed and not confusing at all (I was slightly worried all the different Londons would confuse me).

I have a couple of theories about this book but the only one I will share with you as it doesn't have any spoilers, In case you are completely avoiding all spoilers.i think Kell is Scottish.

I really enjoyed this extract but will not be reading the full book anytime soon as the set out of the book really distracted me from the content but I would definitely recommend it to you if this doesn't put you off.

3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment